This is the intermediate instructions. If you want bare-bones, visit the Bare Bones instructions page.
If you would like these instructions with pictures and arrows, visit the Graphic Instructions page.
We have gone to a good bit of work to make getting on the new bar as easy as possible. Still, there is a process which you will have to go through. Please do not be discouraged.
The new bar has all your login details, your username, signature, etc, but you have to go through the process of doing a password reset. We were unable to move your passwords from the old bar to the new one. Once you have done this, you can set your password to anything you like, including your old password, you can sign up for emails, and - finally - you can use NNTP to read and post to the bar.
So, let's get started by going through the password reset and getting you on the new bar.
The process involves your receiving two emails. You will need to know the email that was registered with the old bar. If you don't know that email, or have lost access to that email, or if this process fails to send you an email, contact David Catchings at firstname.lastname@example.org and give him your old bar login and he can help you get set up.
- Visit http://bar.baen.com (you've probably already done that if you're reading this. )
- Click the login link in the upper right corner.
- Click the "forgot password" link to the right of the password.
- Type in your email that you used to register on the old bar and press "Reset Password."
- Close the browser tab or window of the bar. You've done all you can now. Go to your email and wait.
Once you get the email from the bar, click on the link in the email. This verifies that you wanted to do the password reset.
It would have been nice if the page that came up said "Yes, I see, you have verified your email and that you wanted a password reset." It doesn't. Instead, it shows you the login screen. You can not yet log in. Remember, I told you that you had to get TWO emails. This was only one.
Let me say that again. You can't log in yet. Go back to your email and wait again.
- When the second email arrives, it has a TEMPORARY bar password in it. Go to the login page you were just at, put in your bar login ID and the temporary password. This should let you into the bar. If it doesn't, and you've carefully tried this twice, again, email email@example.com who will help you.
- Now, again in the upper right of the screen, click the link labeled CONTROL PANEL.
- In the upper left, click "Account Settings"
- About six lines down on the right, you will see a link "change password." Click it.
- A popup window will appear. If it doesn't, you may have to allow popups.
- Put in the temporary password you got in email two.
- Put in your preferred password -twice-.
- Click "GO"
Your password has now been changed.
- Click "Home" in the far upper right again. You should see all the bar forums.
Now, you can go on to get email subscribed, or sign up for NNTP, but first, play around with the new bar and see how fast and neato it is.
What to do next?
Sign up for email
Use NNTP to access the bar
But most important, enjoy yourself!
[Updated on: Wed, 29 February 2012 18:47] by Moderator
Report message to a moderator